WOOcraft

An optimistic realist dropped back into suburban San Jose after 6 years in the Big Apple

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

LawnGuyLand for the weekend...

I'm off to Long Island for the weekend for a Friday evening wedding. I'm not really a fan of cross-country whirlwind trips but I do like weddings. This is the cheesy side of me, still with some newlywed glow.. awwhhh...Terence, the groom, is an old friend of Brian's who used to sing in a band called Thester, or The Stir, before they figured out that they should make sure there wasn't another band out there by that name. Thester is now only carried on by Kevin Waite, an incredibly talented and down-to-earth crooner still occasionally doing shows in NYC. I only found one review of the old band and Kevin here. Back in the day I'd try and be a supportive girlfriend-of-the-drummer's-brother-and-singers'-friend and bring more people to their shows, the most memorable off the top of my head being on Bleeker- I think it was the Elbow Room. But I actually really dig the variety of music cranked out by the ole' band...everything from what the guys call 'pussy rock' (that's right, you heard me) to touchingly moody ballads (although maybe that's arguably the same) and some energetic throwbacks to classic rock. The guys liked to cite Radiohead, the Flaming Lips, the Beatles, Wilco amongst their influences. Personally I heard more Beatles and Wilco than Radiohead or Flaming Lips. I'm not a music nerd although I love all kinds of music minus country, so I can't provide a proper review of their stuff, but that previous link has a much more sophisticated explanation. I don't believe I've been to a concert in about a year...again Central Park, but it was Arcade Fire, with a not-so-surprising guest appearance by the preternatural David Bowie. It's amazing to me how much the 80's are coming back. Aside from bands like Arcade Fire sounding a lot like 80's bands like The Cure on certain tracks, but fashion: leggings with denim miniskirts! Who knew?! Now I'm going to be the crazy old lady insisting that Justin Timberlake is ripping off Michael Jackson who ripped off James Brown's moves.
Tonight I disloyally trailed along with Brian's work crew to see an outdoor screening of Office Space downtown. The weather was perfect and I marveled at how easy it was to get a seat. Last year, when we went to see the Muppets Take Manhattan in Central Park with my girl Melissa (shout out) in Central Park, it was like a rock concert in terms of crowd control and lines, except there were tons of kids, naturally. I think many of us childless adults would strongly advocate having Adult Day at all the kid places like the Tech Museum, the Exploratorium, maybe even Chuck E Cheese, Great America, or the zoo. No more feeling guilty at wanting to elbow past the kids to try out those interactive exhibits yourself! We may be fuddy duddy adults, but we want to play too! Melissa if you read this, call Brian's cell so we can plan to meet up in the city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home