I'm Just a Girl
So since Monkalicious admitted to knowing about celebrity gossip, I have a confession to make. I have really girly moments that are not apparent to those who just know my snarky public self. I suppose I must have a Napoleon Complex to have such difficulty admitting to feeling emotion, much less being into girliness. I have cried at movies (when it's dark and empty enough) and HGTV is my porn, although I justify that as being professional research. Try as I might, it's hard to resist listening to office gossip, and as much as I make fun of high-maintenance women, I really loved being doted on the day before my wedding when I got my third-ever manicure and second-ever pedicure. When I was planning my wedding, I trolled the forums of weddingchannel.com and theknot.com, and read about other girls' plans and even got some voyeuristic pleasure in reading the 'military wives' section just because the way they discussed their relationships was exotic and foreign to me. My favorite story was a woman who was very pregnant and saving/planning for the first baby, and her husband went out and bought a monster truck without consulting her. When she protested, her told her not to 'run her mouth off'. !!!! I expected a barrage of gasps and indignation, but instead the incoming comments were commiserating women with similar stories of their husbands just 'bein' boys'. I thought this stuff happened only in these far off lands of very young newlyweds but then my husband told me about how his coworker went off to buy a sportscar when his wife was pregnant without telling her, then shortly after totaled it. His friend was fine, but all the coworkers called it karma and gave him no sympathy. I did not realize that this ailment seized so many men, but I suppose if middle-aged men have the reputation of buying the midlife crisis sportscar, it must fall under similar reasoning.
Sometimes I even hit websites like ivillage or find my horoscope. I came upon this funny little quiz today that tells you your personality by your china pattern. It's really only funny because every description starts with 'Girlfriend...' In case you were curious my china is white w/platinum rims- and hasn't yet come out of the box.
Speaking of crying movies, I'll contribute two:

The Road Home never fails to get the waterworks going. It's a Zhang Yimou film with Zhang Ziyi, star of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon before she hit megastardom in the West. I think it's more moving to me because of my background...the relative lack of dialogue, and communication between the main characters through simple gestures and deeds make the love story especially moving to me. And I'm a sucker for gorgeous cinematography on top of that. The second is not so much a girly crying movie as simply tragic in an unexpected way:
Grave of the Fireflies is an animated Japanese film about two children orphaned during WWII. Basically, if you don't cry, or at least feel the urge to, you may not have a soul. It's one of the most depressing movies I've ever seen, but its ability to recall the simplicity and beauty in childhood moments is haunting. Although it did not make the list of crying-inducing movies used in this study, which found that emotional tears contained more protein..so maybe a good cry now and then is good for our chemistry. So dearies, let's have it. Out with your tearjerkers! Which ones get your tears flowing?


2 Comments:
When I lived in a house of four women, the communal copy of The Joy Luck Club was referred to as "crying porn." For those times you just need a little incentive to cry...
But for me personally, it's Life is Beautiful (or La Vita E Bella). I can't even think about that movie without getting a little weepy.
"Principessa!"
Oh gosh...excuse me...
Um, I guess I've flat-out sobbed at two movies. Wait, three. The first, The Bridges of Madison County. I even gave a presentation in class one time applying utilitarian principles to Francesca's decision to not open the truck door in the pouring rain.
Then there was The Green Mile. Never a fan of captial punishment. . .well, you can fill in the blanks.
Lastly, it had to be Crash, in the scene where the little girl "gets shot." Here, too, cultural and personal identification is key. First, as a Hispanic. Second, as one with a five-year-old in my heart: my dear niece.
Post a Comment
<< Home